Dr. Dean Smith
Dr. Dean Smith is a chiropractor at Essence of Wellness Chiropractic Center and a researcher and clinical professor at Miami University. He incorporates lifestyle intervention (exercise, nutrition, other non-drug methods) with chiropractic adjustments and other manual methods to encourage optimal wellness. He has helped countless adults and children lead a life of wellness. Dr. Dean Smith is active in teaching university courses in functional anatomy, exercise and health as well as musculoskeletal dysfunction and corrective exercise. His research investigates the effects of chiropractic care and corrective exercise on human performance. He also teaches evidence based, quality online continuing education courses for Chiropractic & Naturopathic Physicians , Massage, Physical, Occupational, & Hand Therapists, Athletic Trainers, Registered Dietitian, Nutritionists and Holistic Nursing through www.chirocredit.com
- Doctor of Chiropractic Degree: National College of Chiropractic – Lombard, Ill
- Master’s Degree: Exercise Science – Miami University, Oxford, OH
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD): Brain and Cognitive Science with concentration on motor behavior and postural control – Miami University, Oxford, OH
- Internship: National College of Chiropractic – Lombard, Ill
- Awards and Honors: Miami University, Small Research Grant, EHS Division; Invited Participant of First Annual Motor Control Summer School (Penn State U.); Miami University Graduate Student Achievement Award; Foundation for Chiropractic Education and Research Fellowship; National College of Chiropractic Scholarship; Kentucky Association of Chiropractors Auxiliary Scholarship; National College of Chiropractic Alumni Association Scholarship; Golf Scholarship, Miami University (Ohio)
- Seventeen peer-reviewed journal publications/letters – topics including chiropractic, postural control, motor behavior, sport performance and nutrition
- Over 20 presentations at scientific conferences – including the American College of Sports Medicine Annual Conference and Congress of the International Society of Electrophysiology & Kinesiology
Training with the Leaders:
Dr. Smith has trained with some of the best in the world. He trained with Gregory Cramer, DC, PhD, chiropractor, anatomist, researcher and author of the widely used textbook in medical and chiropractic education, Basic and Clinical Anatomy of the Spine, Spinal Cord, and Autonomic Nervous System. Dr. Cramer continues to be a mentor of Dr. Smith.
Dr. Smith has been fortunate to train with other leaders including:
Dr. Marvin Dainoff – Past President of Human Factors and Ergonomics Society
Dr. Leonard Mark – Chair of Department of Psychology at Miami University
Dr. Allan Pantle – Psychologist and vision researcher
Dr. Smith has played several competitive sports such as soccer, hockey and golf. He had a varsity golf scholarship at Miami University where he now teaches in the Department of Kinesiology and Health. Dr. Smith was a Miami Letterwinner in 1992 (see photos below). He has provided chiropractic care to professional athletes including Women’s Tennis Association tour pros at the Canadian Open. He also works with varsity university and high school athletes. He was an expert guest on National Public Radio program “FitTalk”, co-hosted by “Dr. Jay” Kimiecik. Recently Dr. Smith was quoted in Shape Magazine regarding exercise and posture and fitness.